Sean Broderick is one of the most highly regarded aviation journalists. He inherited av gas in his veins from his father.
Twenty-six years ago, Sean started at the bottom of the Airbus organizational chart. The breadth of his aviation knowledge is shown by his resume thereafter:
- Four years as a consultant in which he supported the award of a U.S. Part 121 certificate.
- A dozen years with one of the best aviation associations where he was the magazine editor and communications executive.
- More than 15 years of writing for some of the major aviation weekly publications providing incredibly insightful articles on maintenance, MRO and safety.
- Sean holds degrees from:
- James Madison University with a B.S. in Communications (’91)
- M.S. in Integrated Marketing Communications (’13) from West Virginia University
Bird brain is a misnomer
The study contrasted its white noise which interferes with birds’ ability to hear critical signals with the previous deterrents (loud noises, predator sounds, fake hawks, alarm calls). Bird brain is a misnomer, for ornithologists have shown that their subjects are quite good at learning. Over time, in true Pavlovian fashion, the fact that the “predator sounds” do not correlate with threats results in the birds’ ignoring that sound. Since the W&M system continuously negates hearing, its strength as a “net” does not appear to diminish over time.
SMS problem-solving creates more immediate and more effective tactics.
All great advice—procedures and practices, but one of the benefits of SMS is that the decision process involves multiple perspectives and thus is more likely to identify practical solutions designed to fix the specific problems which a specific carrier faces. Another positive aspect of this collaborative rubric is that the diagonal slice participation has been a catalyst for creativity.
Hopefully behind the press release, the FAA SMS managers have flagged turbulence for their carriers. Such a referral to the folks who are there when an accident or incident occurs might result in some significant insight.